Monday, December 17, 2007

The Best Joni Mitchell Song Ever

I was just talking about Joni Mitchell today and then I came across this article. Is there anything better or sadder than her Christmas song, River. "Oh I wish I had a river to skate away on." They don't make poets like Joni anymore.


------
AN ODE TO OBSESSIVE LISTENING.
By Ron Rosenbaum, Slate.com
Posted Friday, Dec. 14, 2007, at 10:56 AM ET

This is a love letter. To a love song. One I keep returning to. One I keep feeling I need to do justice to. I don't know if I can, but I'll try.

A couple of months ago, I'd gone back to playing it. Only I can't play it just once. I have to play it over and over again for hours on end. I can't get enough of it. It's not just a love song: It's a road song, it's a motel song, it's a Southwestern desert song, it's a disappearance and death song. It's a Joni Mitchell song. It's "Amelia." (READ)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd still cast my vote for "River"

Anonymous said...

I was recently introduced to Joni Mitchell (through Love Actually, I think) and have just been browsing iTunes.

River was what I purchased. I was looking for lyrics to it and happened upon this post.

Anyway, I agree that it's quite possibly the best, saddest song ... Ever.